Using corn meal that states "whole corn" or "whole grain corn" on the ingredient list means that you'll get the goodness of whole grains when enjoying this recipe.
- 2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (made from 2 teaspoons vinegar + 3/4 cup milk, made from non-fat dry milk powder)
- 1/4 cup egg mix (dry, mixed with 1/4 cup water)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
2. In another bowl, combine buttermilk, egg mix, and vegetable oil. Beat until well blended.
3. Add buttermilk mixture all at once to dry ingredients. Stir until well mixed.
4. Turn mixture onto a lightly floured board and knead only 10 times.
5. Roll out to a thickness of 1/4 inch and cut with a 3/4-inch-round cutter.
6. Cook on a warm ungreased griddle or frying pan for about 10 minutes on each side.