Did you know that you can make your own fresh, delicious, whole-grain rich bagels at home? This recipe makes enough to share with family and friends, or to freeze extras to last you for weeks.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 cups flour, whole wheat
- 1 1/4 cups flour, white
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- cinnamon (optional)
- sugar (optional)
- salt (optional)
1. Mix sugar, yeast, water, and flours together.
2. Rub inside of bowl with oil. Place dough in bowl and flip to coat with oil. Let rise 30 minutes.
3. Punch down dough and divide into 16 portions. Shape into a ball and poke a hole through the middle with your fingers.
4. Place on a well-greased baking sheet and cover with a towel to rise again for 15-20 minutes. Put 2 inches of water in a pot and heat to boiling.
5. Using a slotted spoon, gently place each bagel into a rapidly boiling water for 1 minute on each side. Remove and dry on a towel. Place back on baking sheet. If desired, sprinkle bagels with cinnamon/sugar or salt.
6. Bake at 475°F for 8-12 minutes.
University of Wyoming, Cent$ible Nutrition Program, Cooking For Your or Two.