Add a creamy texture to your soups and stews with this easy sauce.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salt and pepper (optional, to taste)
- 1 cup milk, non-fat (or 1/3 cup powdered milk and water to equal 1 cup)
1. In a small pot, melt butter over low heat.
2. Add flour, salt, and pepper to mixture.
3. Add milk gradually.
4. Heat to boiling, stir constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly. (The consistency should be like thin cream.)
5. Remove from heat.
Use for cream soups and stews.
Lifeskills in Food Education Food Skills Cookbook
Food Stamps Nutrition Education Program.