Peas, lentils, and beans combined with spices and veggies provide this pasta soup with flavor and fiber. Enjoy this hearty soup on a chilly night.
- 1 cup beans, Great Northern (dried)
- 1/4 cup lentils (brown)
- 1/4 cup split peas (green)
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes (dried)
- 3 teaspoons chicken broth granules
- 1/8 cup sun-dried tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated (2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/16 teaspoon minced garlic, instant (pinch)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 3/4 cup tortellini (dried)
- 1 carrot (1 cup coarsely chopped, optional)
- 1 celery (1 cup coarsely chopped, optional)
1. Rinse beans. Put into a 4-5 quart heavy pot with 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until the beans are tender (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours).
2. Add 4 cups water, seasonings, tortellini and, if desired, 1 cup each coarsely chopped carrots and celery. Return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 1/2 hour, until tortellini and vegetables are tender.
Food and Health Communications, Inc., Visit Website