Ground ginger and molasses are combined with mashed sweet potatoes and cooked in the oven for a delicious dessert.
- 3 cup grated sweet potatoes
- 1 cup molasses (or dark cane syrup)
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
1. In a 3-quart saucepan, combine sweet potatoes, molasses, ginger, baking powder, salt, and vegetable oil.
2. Simmer slowly, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes.
3. Pour into well-greased 9-inch baking pan.
4. Bake at 325°F for 30 minutes, stirring every five minutes for the first 20 minutes.
5. Smooth down the top and allow to brown.
6. Cut into squares and serve hot or cold.
Sweet Potato Pone is a Liberian dish often served as a dessert following a family meal.
Learn more about: