Summer squash stuffed with brown rice, fresh basil, beans, cheese & veggies make a hearty and filling dish. Try this tasty recipe when summer squash are abundant in your garden or at the market.
- 2 summer squash
- 3 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup squash pulp (from summer squash listed above)
- 1 cup white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 4 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
1. Wash and cut squash in half, lengthwise. Remove the large seeds.
2. Steam the squash, skin side down, in a small amount of water in a fry pan or skillet until slightly tender (but not mushy).
3. Scoop out a good amount of pulp (1 cup), place in a bowl and mix with stuffing (brown rice through Parmesan cheese).
4. Place the squash shells in a baking dish. Stuff the squash with the stuffing mixture.
5. Top with grated Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes.
Other Stuffing Options:
- Rice + Turkey Stuffing: 1 cup squash pulp, 1 pound cooked ground turkey, 2 cups cooked brown rice, 1 can low-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, 2 Tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cornbread Stuffing: 2 cups squash pulp, 2 cups cornbread stuffing from a mix, dry, 1 cup diced cook chicken or ham, 1/4 cup raisins, 1/4 cup almonds or other nuts.
Learn more about: