One skillet beef and bean tamale pie that cook on the stovetop. For an extra kick, add your favorite hot sauce to this tasty tamale pie.
- Quick Chili:
- 1/2 pound ground beef, lean
- 1 can kidney beans (15 1/2 ounce, drain and save liquid)
- 1/3 cup bean liquid
- 1 cup tomato puree (canned)
- 1 tablespoon onion (minced)
- 1/8 tablespoon chili powder
- Tamale Pie:
- 8 cans whole kernel corn (12 ounce, not drained)
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 dash salt
- 1 1/4 cups cold water (8 fluid ounces)
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
1. Cook beef in hot skillet until lightly browned. Drain off fat.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
Prepare Tamale Pie:
1. Place chili in a 10-inch skillet. Stir in corn. Heat thoroughly.
2. As chili heats, mix cornmeal and salt with water in a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened, about 2 minutes.
3. Spread cornmeal mixture over hot chili to form a crust. Sprinkle with chili powder.
4. Cover and cook over low heat, with lid slightly ajar, until topping is set, about 10 minutes.