Okra cooked with tomatoes, onions, and hot peppers creates the perfect spicy side dish for your favorite entrée.
- 2 packages frozen cut okra (10 oz each)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion (medium, coarsely chopped)
- 1 can tomatoes (14.5 ounces, diced, unsalted)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (fresh, or habanero chile, pierced 3 times with fork)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Rinse okra in a colander under hot water.
2. Heat oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat. Saute onion for about 3 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes (including juice) and chile, and boil. Stir the mixture for 8 minutes.
4. Add okra and cook, gently stirring, until okra is tender, about 5 minutes.
5. Stir in salt and pepper and discard the chile.
National Institutes of Health
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style