Serve this sweet cornbread with your favorite savory entrée.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour (all purpose)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 4 egg whites (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray and 8 inch square pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.
2. Mix dry ingredients in an medium-sized mixing bowl.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well by hand.
4. Pour the batter into the sprayed pan and shake to make it level.
5. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
6. Allow to cool, then cut into 12 squares.
Learn more about: