This recipe can be made in a microwave. Perfect for busy weekdays, this vegetable side dish is full of fiber.
- 1 cup vegetables, frozen or fresh (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, reduced sodium (or use water)
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked, or any other rice
- 1/2 can kidney beans (about 7 oz) or chick peas, pink beans, kidney beans
- dill weed (fresh snipped or dry, to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
1. Cook the vegetables in the chicken broth (or water) using a small pan, pot, or electric skillet, on medium high heat.*
2. Cook the vegetables the way you like them (firm or soft), stirring gently. Add more broth as needed to keep the vegetables moist.
3. Add the rice, canned beans and seasonings. Steam fry until heated through.
* Microwave version: Follow the same steps above. Use a microwave safe, covered dish. Stir the vegetables every 2 to 3 minutes. Just before they are cooked, add the rice, beans and herbs. Cook until heated. Rotate the dish & stir gently.
Summer 1999 Newsletter