These greens are delicious. Wonderful in the cooler months when greens are easily found in your garden or market.
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 pound turkey breast, smoked, skinless
- 3 teaspoons hot pepper (freshly chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves (ground)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 scallion stalk (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (ground)
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 14 cups mustard greens, or turnip, collard, kale, or mixture (about 2 pounds)
1. Place all ingredients except greens into large saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Prepare greens by washing thoroughly and removing stems.
3. Tear or slice leaves into bite-size pieces.
4. Add greens to turkey stock. Cook 20-30 minutes until tender.
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI), Heart Healthy Home Cooking African American Style