A hearty and delightful stew to warm your family's table. Enjoy this cozy stew with a grapefruit or orange for dessert.
- 3 pounds lamb bones (or lean beef ribs)
- 8 cups water (2 quarts)
- salt (2 teaspoons, optional)
- 1 1/2 cups onions, slightly chopped
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cabbage, cut into small wedges
- 3 cups string beans, trimmed
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter (1/4 cup)
- 1 lemon, juiced (approximately 3 Tablespoons)
- cooked rice (1/2 cup, optional)
1. In a 6-quart saucepan, simmer lamb bones in 2 quarts of water and 2 teaspoons of salt (optional) for one hour.
2. Add onions, carrots, cabbage, string beans, and garlic.
3. Simmer for one hour until vegetables are thoroughly cooked.
4. Remove lamb bones and puree the mixture.
5. Add 4 Tablespoons peanut butter thinned with lemon juice.
6. Add cooked rice (optional).
7. Add salt and pepper to taste.
North Dakota State University Extension Service.