Spicy and savory, this four ingredient stew is simple and delicious.
- 2 pounds pork (cut into small pieces save some fat)
- 5 dried red chiles
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt (to taste, optional)
1. Wash chiles, removing stems and seeds. Place in blender with 1 cup water and blend into paste.
2. Put pork fat into deep skillet until there is enough on the bottom of the skillet to prevent meat from sticking. Discard remaining fat.
3. Brown pork lightly. Add the chile paste and mix well, adding water if mixture is too thick. Add oregano and garlic. Cover pan and simmer slowly for one hour.
Learn more about:
USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, A River of Recipes
Native American Recipes Using Commodity Foods