Sweet and spicy, this pumpkin bread makes a wonderful holiday treat.
- 1 can pumpkin (15 ounce)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup yogurt, low-fat plain
- 1 1/2 cups flour (all purpose)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat together pumpkin, sugar, oil, and yogurt.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, and salt; add to pumpkin mixture, stirring until just moistened.
3. Stir in raisins.
4. Pour into 2 greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pans and bake for about 1 hour.
5. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely.
Substituting yogurt for eggs and oil reduces fat and cholesterol.
Learn more about:
Iowa State University Extension, Food for Fitness and Fun, November 2000