This casserole would be wonderful for brunch or dinner. Top with fresh tomatoes or your favorite salsa!
- 12 cup frozen hash browns, country style (about 12 ounces, thawed)
- cup green pepper (finely chopped, divided)
- 1/2 cup onion (finely chopped, divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can evaporated milk, nonfat (12 ounces)
- 3/4 egg whites from large eggs (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup cheese, reduced-fat sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 cup cheese, reduced fat Monterey Jack, shredded
- 1 cup spinach (washed and chopped, fresh)
- 1/2 cup tomatoes (chopped, fresh)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Wash your hands and work area.
3. In large bowl, combine hash browns, green pepper, 1/4 cup onion, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
4. Spray a 8x8 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Press potato mixture into bottom.
5. Bake until lightly browned around edges, 20-25 minutes.
6. In large bowl, stir together evaporated milk, egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, cheeses, spinach, remaining 1/4 cup onion, and tomatoes.
7. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
8. Pour mixture over potato crust. Bake uncovered until center is set, 40-45 minutes.
9. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Cut into 6 pieces. Serve hot.
10. Cover and refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.