A spicy and savory one pot dish that the whole family will enjoy. Add some cayenne pepper for an extra kick.
- 1 cup brown rice (instant)
- 2 cup chicken broth (reduced sodium)
- 1/3 tablespoon dehydrated onion (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (ground)
- 1/8 cup red pepper (optional)
- 1 sweet potato (2 cups, peeled and diced)
- 1 can tomatoes (diced, 14.5 ounces, with liquid)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (creamy, reduced-fat)
- 1 1/4 cup milk (non-fat)
- 3 cup baby spinach (coarsely chopped)
- 1/4 cup peanuts (roasted, chopped)
- green onion (optional, thinly sliced for garnish)
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a soup pot. Bring to boil, then turn down to medium low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter and milk. Return to gentle simmer and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Ladle stew into bowls and top with peanuts and green onion, if desired.