Packed with whole grains, this tasty bread is perfect as a snack topped with jam or peanut butter.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 packet dry yeast (active)
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 - 115 degrees)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups flour (all purpose)
1. Combine rolled oats and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir in boiling water; cool to lukewarm (105 - 115 degrees).
2. Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water in small bowl.
3. Add yeast water, molasses, and oil to cooled oatmeal mixture. Stir in whole wheat flour and 1 cup all purpose flour. Add additional all purpose flour to make a dough stiff enough to knead.
4. Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
5. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl, turning to oil top. Cover with clean towel; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour.
5. Punch dough down; turn onto clean surface. Shape dough and place in greased 9 x 5 inch pan. Cover with clean towel; let rise in a warm place until almost double, about 1 hour.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake 50 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Cover with aluminum foil during baking if bread is browning too quickly. Remove bread from pan and cool on wire rack.