Prepare this hearty soup with vegetable broth if you desire it to be vegetarian or vegan.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 celery stalk (sliced thin)
- 2 carrot (peeled and sliced thin)
- 2 cups mushroom (sliced)
- 1/2 cup barley, quick cooking
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (ground)
- 3 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped fresh)
1. Heat oil in large soup pot over high heat. Sauté onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms until golden, about 4 minutes.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the parsley and bring to a boil.
3. Lower heat to a simmer and cook until the barley is tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Sprinkle parsley on top of soup and serve hot.