This flavorful side dish is full of veggies and tomato sauce - your whole family will love it!
- 1 cup rice
- 1 yellow onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes, low sodium
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 3 1/3 cups vegetables (frozen, peas and carrots)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (chopped fresh)
1. Lightly spray a large saucepan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Add rice to saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Stir in onion and garlic. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add hot water, bouillon cubes and tomato sauce, stirring until bouillon cubes are dissolved. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Add frozen vegetables. Cover and simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until all moisture is absorbed.
4. Sprinkle cilantro on top of cooked rice. Serve.
Contra Costa Health Services