Lentils and brown rice are combined with flavorful herbs and onions and topped with cheese for a delicious side dish.
- 2 2/3 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup lentils (sorted and rinsed)
- 3/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup brown rice (raw)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, part-skim (divided)
1. In a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish add the chicken broth, lentils, onions, brown rice, water, spices and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
2. Cover and bake at 350º for 2 hours, adding more broth if casserole seems dry.
3. Top with remaining cheese and bake another 2 or 3 minutes until all the cheese is melted.
Learn more about:
Washington State WIC Program, The Bold and Beautiful Book of Bean Recipes