This sweet and savory entree is packed with fiber, protein, and potassium!
- 2 1/3 cups lentils (uncooked, 1 pound)
- bay leaf (1 small, optional)
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 pound ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/3 cup honey
1. Combine rinsed lentils, bay leaf, and 5 cups water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover tightly and reduce heat. Simmer 30 minutes. Do not drain. After cooking, discard bay leaf.
2. Chop onion. Combine onions, and 1 cup water. Add to lentils and mix.
3. Brown ground beef (if using). Drain and discard fat. Add the meat to the lentil mixture and mix.
4. Pour honey over lentil mixture. Cover tightly and bake it for one hour at 350 degrees.
Replace 1 cup water with 2 Tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon oregano, and 2 cups tomato sauce.
Omit the ground beef for a meatless meal that is lower in calories and fat.
Learn more about onions.
Michigan State University Cooperative Extension Service, Eating Right is Basic
Nutrition Education Program