Light and flaky biscuits make excellent additions to holiday meals and family gatherings.
- 2 cup flour (all purpose)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2/3 cup buttermilk (low-fat)
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil (+ 1 teaspoon vegetable oil)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
3. In small bowl, stir together buttermilk and oil.
4. Pour over flour mixture and stir until well mixed.
5. On lightly floured surface, knead dough gently for 10–12 strokes.
6. Roll or pat dough to ¾-inch thickness.
7. Cut with a 2-inch round biscuit or cookie cutter, dipping cookie cutter in flour between cuts.
8. Transfer biscuits to an ungreased baking sheet.
9. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Serve warm.
National Institutes of Health
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style