Chili powder and lime juice provide a zesty dressing to this salad, which is full of root vegetables.
- 2 cups romaine lettuce (washed)
- 1 cup cilantro leaves (washed)
- 1 cup parsnips (peeled)
- 1 cup carrot (peeled)
- 1 cup turnips (peeled)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest (grated)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Combine romaine lettuce and cilantro, and divide onto four plates.
2. Place parsnips, carrots and turnips into 1 quart of boiling water. Return water to a simmer, cook vegetables for 2 minutes. Strain into a colander.
3. Mix ingredients for the dressing right before use.
4. Place hot vegetables on top of greens and top with homemade dressing.
National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (CDC), 5 A Day: Eat 5 to 9 Fruits and Vegetables