This soup is great for lunch or dinner. Serve it with a salad and a whole wheat roll for a delicious meal.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups onion (chopped)
- 4 small potatoes (2 cups diced, with skin on)
- 1 1/2 cups yellow split peas
- 5 1/2 cups chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1. Place the vegetable oil in a large soup pot or Dutch-oven style pan. Heat over medium-high.
2. Add the onion and sauté until golden, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered until the peas are tender, about 45 minutes. Serve hot.