Fresh green beans work well when they’re in season. If they’re not, try frozen in this recipe that combines a whole grains and veggies into one satisfying and eye-catching dish.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water or broth
- 2 cups green beans
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Soy sauce, reduced sodium
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground
1. Toast to quinoa in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.
2. Put quinoa in a medium pot and add water or broth.
3. Bring to a boil, then let simmer until all of the water is absorbed and quinoa is tender (10-20 minutes).
4. Set aside and leave uncovered to cool.
5. While quinoa is cooling, microwave the green beans until just tender.
6. Rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process.
7. In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, olive oil or cooking oil, sesame oil, green beans, lemon juice, soy sauce and fresh or ground ginger. Stir well.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Serve at room temperature.