This cool and refreshing salad is a great way to use leftover rice and turn it into dinner on a hot summer night.
- 1 cup brown rice (cooked)
- 1 carrot (shredded)
- 1 cup broccoli (chopped fine)
- 1 red onion (small, chopped)
- 1 cup tomato (chopped)
- 1 bell pepper (sweet, green, red, yellow)
- 1 can kidney beans (15oz, drained, rinsed)
- 2 tablespoon cilantro (or other fresh herbs) (chopped fine)
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar (or white or cider)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper (to taste, optional)
- Wash and chop vegetables and mix with cooked rice.
- In a small bowl, add vinegar, oil, dill, salt and pepper. (Or use your favorite dressing.) Pour over rice mixture.
- Add beans and toss well. Serve cold and enjoy!
Use your favorite vegetables- zucchini, summer squash, corn, greens, kohlrabi, cabbage or string beans. Use frozen or canned when fresh is unavailable. Grate, chop, cut into small thin strips for different shapes.
Be creative! Try different vinegars -- cider, red or white wine, balsamic, rice or white – or flavored vinegars.
Use low calorie salad dressing and leave out the vinegar and oil.
Try a squeeze of lemon or lime juice in place of vinegar!
Try different fresh herbs- cilantro, dill, basil, chives, tarragon, oregano, rosemary or mint to name a few. Or use dried herbs – but use less.