Garlic, cumin, and lemon juice give a zesty flavor to this cold, blended vegetable soup. Cilantro added at the end leaves a refreshing pop of flavor.
- 2 cucumbers (diced into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 3 Red bell peppers (seeded and diced into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 3 green peppers (seeded and diced into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 4 celery stalks (diced into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 2 tomatoes (diced into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 1 onion (medium, diced into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 2 lemons
- 2 cups tomato juice, low-sodium
- 3 garlic cloves (fresh minced)
- 1 tablespoon cumin (ground)
- 1 cup cilantro (fresh chopped)
- salt and pepper (to taste, optional)
1. Combine all ingredients except salt, pepper and lemons in a bowl.
2. Remove 2 cups of the mixture and reserve.
3. Using a blender or food processor, puree the remaining mixture in the bowl.
4. Add 2 cups of reserved mixture to the pureed mixture.
5. Season with salt, pepper (optional) and the juice from the lemons.
6. Cover mixture and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
7. Serve cold, garnished with chopped cilantro.
Johnson and Wales University and
Rhode Island Department of Health WIC Program, Veggin’ Out Recipe Book, page 42