Try these muffins for breakfast or as a snack during the day. Use fresh fruit when in season - frozen or canned fruit works too!
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, low-fat
- 2 tablespoons margarine (melted)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen strawberries (coarsely chopped, or other fruit, fresh or frozen)
1. Wash your hands and work area.
2. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tin with non--stick cooking spray.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir well until all ingredients are blended.
4. In another bowl, combine buttermilk, margarine, egg, and vanilla. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients (made in step #3).
5. Using a large spoon, gently stir ingredients just until moist (do not over-mix). Add fruit and stir gently (do not over-mix).
6. Spoon batter evenly into 9 muffin cups.
7. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Serve hot or cold. Muffins may be frozen for later use.
Fix it Fresh! Recipe Series