Enjoy this classic rice pudding recipe that uses cinnamon and raisins, or any other favorite dried fruit,to make a wholesome dessert that has just the right amount of sweetness.
- 2/3 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1 cup water (warm)
- 1 teaspoon butter or margarine (optional - used in analysis)
- 1/2 cup dry milk, non-fat
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup raisins (or other dried fruit)
1. Combine rice, water, and butter or margarine in large microwave safe dish. Cover loosely, so steam will escape.
2. Cook in microwave on high for 5 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce setting to defrost (50% power), and cook an additional 10 minutes.
3. Mix other ingredients together while rice is cooking.
4. Without allowing rice to cool, remove cover and quickly stir milk-water-raisin mixture into hot rice. Cover loosely again and continue cooking on defrost (50% power) for 10 minutes. After cooking time is finished, let pudding sit, covered, for 10 minutes.
5. Stir gently and put in individual serving dishes.
6. Eat warm or cover and refrigerate immediately. Enjoy the refrigerated pudding within 2 days.
* Used in Analysis
A 9-10 year-old child can learn how to use measuring spoons and cups while helping make this recipe.
Simply Good Eating Recipe Cards: Vol. 1, 2000