This lentil stew is full of wholesome vegetables, protein, and fiber. Although it can cook for several hours in the crockpot, the "hands on" preparation time is low.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 2 cups chard, chopped
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 8 cups vegetable broth (or stock)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (16 ounces)
1. Sauté onion and garlic with olive oil.
2. Combine sauté mix with the rest of the ingredients in a crock pot.
3. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
4. Spoon stew into bowls to serve and top with a dollop of fat-free or low-fat plain yogurt (optional).
University of Kentucky EFNEP.