Keep the flavor but cut down on the fat and sodium with this oven-fried chicken recipe. A welcome addition to your next family meal or potluck.
- 1/2 cup milk, non-fat (or buttermilk)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup cornflakes, crumbled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper (dried crushed)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (ground)
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless
- 4 chicken drumsticks, skinless
- 1/16 teaspoon paprika (a few shakes of)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (to grease baking pan)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add 1/2 teaspoon of poultry seasoning to milk.
3. Combine all other spices with cornflake crumbs and place in a plastic bag.
4. Dip chicken into milk, shake to remove excess, then quickly shake in bag with seasoning and crumbs.
5. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
6. Remove from refrigerator and sprinkle lightly with paprika for color.
7. Evenly space chicken on greased baking pan.
8. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
9. Remove foil and continue baking for an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until the meat can be easily pulled away form the bone with a fork. The drumsticks may require less baking time than the breasts. Crumbs will form a crispy "skin." (Do not turn chicken during baking.)
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI), Heart Healthy Home Cooking African American Style