Mix up your breakfast routine with this recipe that uses cornmeal for a hearty and satisfying way to make pancakes.
- 2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon butter (or margarine)
- cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 egg
1. Measure, place in a bowl and mix cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
2. Measure fat (butter or margarine), and add to cornmeal mixture. Bring water to a boil. Measure 1 3/4 cups boiling water, and add to cornmeal mixture. Beat until well mixed.
3. Measure evaporated milk, and pour into a small bowl. Measure vinegar, and stir into evaporated milk. Stir milk and vinegar mixture into cornmeal mixture. Beat to mix well. Beat in egg. Makes batter for 20 medium-size pancakes.
4. Heat griddle or fry pan. (If electric fry pan is used, preheat it to 380 degrees.) Pan is "hot" when a drop of water "dances." Grease pan lightly.
5. Pour batter onto griddle or fry pan. Use about 3 Tablespoons batter for each pancake. A 1/4 cup measure is handy to use for pouring. Stir the batter up from the bottom now and then to keep it well mixed. Cook until top is covered with bubbles and the bottom is brown. Loosen edges of each pancake all around. Turn pancakes over and brown other side.
Food Trades Staff