The ultimate comfort food! This healthier version of a family favorite uses non-fat evaporated milk and low-fat cheese to create its creamy sauce.
- 2 cup macaroni
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk, non-fat
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 cup cheese, finely shredded sharp cheddar, lowfat
- cooking oil spray
1. Cook macaroni according to directions. (Do not add salt to the cooking water.) Drain and set aside.
2. Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking oil spray.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Lightly spray saucepan with nonstick cooking oil spray.
5. Add onions to saucepan and sauté for about 3 minutes.
6. In another bowl, combine macaroni, onions, and the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
7. Transfer mixture into casserole dish.
8. Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Learn more about onions.