Butternut squash and black beans make a hearty side dish that is delicious and full of fiber and protein.
- 2 3/4 cups Butternut squash, cubed (1 small squash, about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion (small, chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cans black beans (16 ounces each, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
1. Heat the squash in the microwave on high heat for 1-2 minutes. This will soften the skin.
2. Carefully peel the squash with a vegetable peeler or small knife.
3. Cut the squash into 1/2 inch cubes.
4. Peel and chop the onion.
5. In a large pan, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic powder, and squash.
6. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
7. Add vinegar and water. Cook on low heat until the squash is tender, about 10 minutes.
8. Add the beans and oregano. Cook until the beans are heated through.