Dried fruit and sage combine to give this whole grain dish a flavor of fall, but you can enjoy it any time of the year!
- canola cooking spray (as needed)
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 celery stalks (small, ends trimmed and chopped)
- 2 cups rice (brown, uncooked)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth (fat-free, reduced sodium)
- 1/4 cup raisins (dark)
- 1/4 cup apricots (dried, chopped)
- 4 walnuts (1/4 cup, chopped, optional)
- 1 teaspoon sage (dried)
- 2 teaspoons sage (fresh, chopped)
- salt (to taste, optional)
- pepper (to taste, optional)
1. Spray the large skillet with canola cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat.
2. Sauté onion and celery until tender, about 5 minutes. Add brown rice and sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Add water, broth, raisins, and apricots; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 50 minutes.
4. Stir in walnuts if desired, sage, salt and pepper.
5. Transfer to serving dish. Garnish with fresh sage and serve immediately.