A tasty and made-from-scratch soup that comes together quickly with the help of instant mashed potatoes and powdered milk.
- 4 cups broccoli (chopped)
- 1 onion (small, chopped)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1 cup evaporated milk, non-fat
- 1 cup mashed potatoes, instant (prepared in water)
- salt and pepper (to taste, optional)
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (or American)
1. Wash hands.
2. Combine broccoli, onion, and broth in large sauce pan.
3. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
5. Add milk to soup. Slowly stir in potatoes.
6. Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly and thickened.
7. Season with salt and pepper; stir in a little more milk or water if soup starts to become too thick.
8. Ladle into serving bowls.
9. Sprinkle about 1 Tablespoon cheese over each serving.
Arizona Nutrition Network, Don’t Play With Your Food: Fall and Winter Cookbook