Ginger and orange peel are the secret ingredients to this pork, apple, and carrot soup.
- 1 pound pork (lean, cut into chunks)
- 4 apples (with skin, cored and quarterd)
- 4 carrots (large, peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1 orange peel (dried, 1 teaspoon, optional)
- 4 slices ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 20 cups water
1. In a large pot over high heat, combine all ingredients, bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until soup reduces to about 8 cups of liquid, about 3 to 4 hours.
3. Skim fat from surface and serve.
4. Store leftover soup covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
San Francisco Department of Public Health, Chinatown Public Health Center.
Healthy & Delicious--Simple Ways to Low Fat Chinese Cooking