This creamy pasta dish with a hint of lemon is sure to be a family favorite. Packed with chicken and topped with crunchy almonds, it can be baked and ready to serve any night of the week.
- 8 ounce whole wheat spaghetti, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon tub margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20 ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast (cut into 3/4-inch pieces)
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 1 clove large garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoon chopped chives or scallions
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika (optional)
1. Combine flour, salt, pepper and cayenne in a saucepan; gradually add chicken broth and skim milk, stirring with a wire whisk until smooth.
2. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add mustard and lemon juice. Allow to cool.
3. Heat margarine and oil in a skillet. Add chicken pieces, green onions and garlic. Sauté until chicken is just firm and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
4. Prepare pasta according to package directions and drain. Combine sauce, chicken and pasta mixture.
5. Put into a 2 ½-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle top with almonds, chopped chives and paprika (if using).
6. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until heated through.
The "Grain Chain"