1. Slice the baguette on the diagonal into thin slices (about 12 slices for a baguette).
2. In a large sauté pan, heat 2 T of the olive oil over medium heat.
3. Place the bread slices in the pan and cook on medium high heat until sizzling and golden. Before flipping the bread, add an additional tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and cook the second side until golden.
4. For the topping, cook the onions and the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat until the onions are soft, about 7 minutes.
5. Add the garlic, basil and oregano and cook another minute or two, until fragrant.
6. Add beans and continue cooking for another five minutes on low heat. Add the tomatoes and turn off the heat, allowing tomatoes to warm without cooking.
7. Drizzle the balsamic vinegar into the pan and gently stir.
8. Scoop heaping spoonfuls of the tomato-bean mixture onto the grilled bread and enjoy.
The "Grain Chain," a group of MyPlate National Strategic Partners committed to promoting and supporting grains, offers a series of recipes featuring whole grains. Members include American Bakers Association, Wheat Food Council, Grains Food Foundation, National Pasta Association, USA Rice Federation, General Mills, and Kellogg's.