Traditional tapenades can be high in sodium, but not this version, with its base of raisins. Spread on crackers or pita bread as a snack or appetizer, or include as part of a tapas-inspired meal. Makes a great portable lunch.
- 1 cup California raisins
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives (drained)
- 2/3 tablespoon walnuts
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large whole grain pita bread (approximately 16 wedges or melba rounds)
1. Place tapenade ingredients in food processor.
2. Run until raisins, olives, and walnuts are finely chopped.
3. Can be made ahead and refrigerated.
4. Serve with melba rounds or pita wedges.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with a glass of 100% apple juice and hummus with cucumber slices and carrot or celery sticks.
Tips on Raisins:
- Raisins are fat- and cholesterol-free, naturally low in sodium, and loaded with antioxidants.
- Just 1/4 cup of raisins is equivalent to 1/2 cup of fruit.
- Raisins are the most economical fruit per serving.