Apple juice and dried fruit add a touch of sweetness to this stew. This dish can be put together in minutes and then left to simmer in your slow cooker. Served over brown rice, it’s a great comfort food to have waiting at the end of a long day. The crushed cereal acts as a thickener and adds a nutty flavor to the stew. Try substituting dried apricots or cranberries for the cherries as desired.
- 2 pound lean pork stew meat
- 3 cup baby carrots
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup complete bran and wheat flakes ready-to-eat cereal (crushed to 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 3/4 cup 100% apple juice or apple cider
- 4 cup hot cooked brown rice
The "Grain Chain," a group of MyPlate National Strategic Partners committed to promoting and supporting grains, offers a series of recipes featuring whole grains. Members include American Bakers Association, Wheat Food Council, Grains Food Foundation, National Pasta Association, USA Rice Federation, General Mills, and Kellogg's.