Grapes are a natural balance to this sweet and savory shrimp salad. Enjoy as a sandwich or over lettuce.
- 1/2 pound frozen cooked cocktail shrimp (thawed, peeled, and deveined)
- 1 8-oz can yellow corn kernels (no salt added, drained)
- 1 cup canned black beans (no salt added, drained and rinsed)
- 1 stalk celery (diced)
- 2 tablespoon chopped onion
- 2 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon salt-free Caribbean citrus seasoning
- 8 slices whole-grain bread
- 2 tomatoes (sliced)
- 4 leaves Bibb lettuce or other leaf lettuce
1. Chop shrimp coarsely.
2. Mix together shrimp salad ingredients (everything except for the bread, tomato slices, and lettuce).
3. Divide salad evenly among 4 slices of bread; spread to edges of bread.
4. Top with tomato slices, lettuce, and second bread slice.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with a glass of non-fat milk and a red grape cluster.
Tips for selecting and storing grapes:
- Grapes are fully ripe when they arrive at the supermarket.
- Look for plump grapes with pliable green stems.
- Keep grapes unwashed and refrigerated in a plastic bag until ready for use, then rinse with cold water and serve, or add to recipes.