A colorful, casual meal that's surprising simple to prepare.
- 4 large low sodium sweet potatoes (yams)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning blend
- 1 can 14.75-ounce pink or red salmon
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 8 crackers, unsalted tops (saltine-like), crushed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 Egg whites from 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- cooking spray
- 4 whole-wheat buns
- 8 leaves Bibb Lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes (sliced)
- Place oven rack in center, heat oven to 425°F.
- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes, slice into wedges, length-wise.
- In a large bowl, toss potato wedges with canola oil and seasoning.
- Spread on cookie sheet. Roast in the oven, turning occasionally, until tender and golden brown, about 30-40 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes are roasting, prepare salmon burgers. Drain salmon; place in a medium mixing bowl and flake.
- Fold in green onions and red pepper, crushed crackers, lemon juice, egg whites and yogurt.
- Shape into 4 patties.
- Coat large nonstick skillet lightly with cooking spray; heat.
- Cook salmon burgers until golden brown, turn, and continue cooking until other side is golden brown.
- Serve burgers with sliced tomatoes and lettuce, and sweet potato oven fries.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with a glass of 100% berry juice blend.
Produce For Better Health Foundation