Whole grain tortillas filled with mashed red beans, spinach, cheese, and avocado are heated until and warm, melted, and golden brown.
- 4 8-inch whole wheat tortilla
- 1 cup frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed to remove excess liquid)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado (peeled pitted chopped)
- 1 can 15.5 ounce low-sodium red kidney beans (drained and rinsed with cold water)
- garlic powder or dry herbs (optional)
1. Using a fork, mash beans in a bowl until slightly chunky. Add no-salt seasonings such as garlic powder and dried or fresh herbs, if desired.
2. Place 1 tortilla on a plate and top with half the mashed beans.
3. Top the beans with ½ cup of the spinach.
4. Top the spinach with half the cheese.
5. Top the cheese with half the avocado, (optional).
6. Put the other tortilla on top of the avocado, gently pressing it down so the top half sticks.
7. Repeat with the remaining 2 tortillas.
8. Place a nonstick skillet on the stove over medium and heat until warm, then place 1 quesadilla in the dry skillet. Cook until golden brown, about 1–2 minutes on each side. (Or put the plate in the microwave and heat until the cheese melts, about 45 seconds.)
9. Repeat with the remaining quesadilla.
10. Cut each quesadilla into quarters. Serve warm.
Black beans or white cannellini beans can be used instead of kidney beans.