A unique and flavorful meat-free lasagna layered with sliced potatoes instead of noodles.
- 7 small red potatoes
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 ounce Fresh Baby Spinach (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 3/4 cup non-fat ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese)
- 3/4 cup Part-skim mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 1/2 cup reduced sodium pasta sauce (about 1/2 of 24-oz jar)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bring water to a boil in large sauce pan.
- Thinly slice potatoes, add to boiling water and cook 5 minutes, drain and rinse with cool water; drain again.
- Heat olive oil in medium skillet, add onions and garlic; sauté about 2-3 minutes until just starting to brown.
- Add spinach, sauté 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat and drain off liquid.
- In a medium bowl, mix cheese with egg until well blended.
- Add layers to 8" square baking dish as follows, using about 1/4 of each: pasta sauce, potato slices, sauteed spinach mixture and cheese mixture.
- Repeat layers until all ingredients are used.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake about 35-40 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes until cheese is melted.
Serve with sparkling water, lemon slice, and a slice of rustic grain bread.