My family’s recipes are a sacred tradition, especially our slow cooker stuffing. Rather than take away “unhealthy” ingredients, I wanted to make my version colorful by adding red cranberries and green apples. I also replaced the white bread with 100% whole wheat bread. The end result? My family loved it and I hope yours will too! ~ Melissa, MyPlate Nutritionist
- 3/4 stick of light butter
- 2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 cup fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 16 cup 100% whole-wheat bread (cubed)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 2 egg whites (beaten)
- 1 cup water
1. Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, mushrooms, and parsley to pan. Stir often until veggies are tender.
2. Combine bread cubes, cranberries, and apple in a large bowl. Pour veggies over bread cubes and mix gently.
3. Season with poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, garlic powder, and pepper. Pour in broth (just enough to moisten) and gently mix in eggs.
4. Transfer mixture to slow cooker and cover.
5. Set slow cooker to High for 45 minutes; then reduce heat to Low and cook for 4 to 8 hours.