With two little ones in the house, I’m always looking for ways that I can introduce them to new flavors and textures of foods and beverages. This sparkling cider recipe does just that! The 100% apple juice is familiar and adds a touch of sweetness, while the cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon introduce them to new spices. The bubbles from the sparkling water also provide a fun new feeling for their mouth. Adults will enjoy this beverage too! ~Liz, CNPP Nutritionist
- 2 cups 100% apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon star anise
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups sparkling water (unsweetened)
1. Combine the first five ingredients in a pot and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring the liquid intermittently.
2. Place a strainer over a large glass, bowl, or pitcher. Carefully pour the liquid into the container. Discard the star anise and cloves.
3. Place the container in the refrigerator to cool for about 30 minutes.
4. Once the apple juice mixture is cool, combine it with the sparkling water and serve.