This easy and delicious recipe for cranberry chutney is a great alternative to cranberry sauce. It’s healthier than traditional cranberry sauce - with more fruit and vegetables, and half the sugar. The finished product has a great sweet-tangy flavor, and makes a great side dish to serve with roasted turkey, chicken, or pork. Or, for something different, try serving it with low-fat yogurt! ~Julie, CNPP Nutritionist
- 3 cups whole, fresh cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 Juice of one orange
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Granny Smith apple (chopped)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Combine all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.
2. Cover with a lid and reduce heat to low.
3. Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove from heat and let chutney cool slightly.
5. Place in the refrigerator to cool completely.
Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion