Collards are an all-time favorite side to any meal. This recipe starts with tender collards and adds a hint of “heat” from hot pepper flakes. Try this easy and tasty recipe at your next family gathering. ~ Julia, CNPP
- 16 cups chopped collards (small leaves)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning
1. Cut bottom stems from collards.
2. Wash and cut collards into bite-sized pieces. Place in colander to drain.
3. Chop garlic cloves into small pieces.
4. Place olive oil into large skillet. Place on high heat to start.
5. Place collards in skillet. Keep on high heat, turning collards as they saute, about 1 minute in the uncovered skillet. (You will not need to add water because of the water already on the washed collards.)
6. Add garlic cloves and red pepper flakes.
7. Place cover on the skillet to allow collards to steam until they are half their original volume.
8. Turn heat to low and continue steaming until the collards are tender.