Bored with the same old sandwich at lunch? Liven up packed lunches with this Thai-influenced pita pocket: a surprising blend of fruits, spinach and peanut sauce tucked in a very portable pita pocket.
- 1 can tropical fruit salad in 100% juice (15 ounces)
- 4 whole-grain pita pockets
- 4 cups fresh spinach (torn)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- 3 tablespoons reserved juice from tropical fruit salad
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter, crunchy or chunky
- 3 tablespoons fat-free cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1. In a colander over a bowl, drain fruit salad well; reserve 3 tbsp juice.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together reserved juice, peanut butter, cream cheese and soy sauce.
3. Place drained fruit, spinach and cilantro (if desired) in bowl, mix gently.
4. Add sauce and toss.
5. Slice a small portion off each pita. Tuck the slice inside the bottom of the pita.
6. Fill each pita pocket with the fruit-spinach mixture.
7. Wrap individually in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Will keep well overnight.
Time-saving idea: Purchase pre-opened pita pockets
Produce For Better Health Foundation